What I Read June

A photo posted by Sophie Overett (@sophieoverett) on
So! Another kind-of-slow reading month. I've been a bit crazy-town getting ready for my trip to America, (I leave on Monday!!) and swept up in events and commitments, which hasn't really made it reading-friendly.

That said, I've been powering through Marvel comics, reading the excellent third volume of Hawkeye and equally excellent first two volumes of Captain Marvel. Kelly Sue DeConnick and Matt Fraction are total powerhouse comic writers who write crazy thrilling action and also moments of such heart it's almost hard to believe you're reading a superhero story. It's a pretty wonderful thing.

Young Avengers is similarly a lot of fun, well paced, with a compelling cast of characters and an awesome, next gen feel.

The books I've read have both been veeeery different tonally. I'm powering through Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me, the true account of Ted Bundy. It's an amazingly intricate and detailed read (helped by the fact that Rule knew Bundy so well), and the book explores every faced of the cases, drawing an interesting profile on Bundy that's as mysterious and thorough as perhaps it ever could be.

Lastly, Jenny Offill's The Dept. of Speculation is a moving and intimate portrayal of a marriage. I'm pretty excited by this one as I'll be learning from Offill at the Tin House Summer Writer's Workshop in just a few weeks, and this book is so much what I like to read, what I love to write. It's never saccharine, but somehow manages to speak to you so gently and so sweetly and so despairingly all the same.

So maybe not a whole lot of books this month, but a lot of good ones at the very least.

What have you been reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment