Sunday Short: 'St Dymphna's School for Poison Girls' by Angela Slatter

The ice travels down, down, leaching into my limbs, taking my extremities for its own, locking my joints, creeping into my brain like icicles. My fingers are the claws of a raven frozen on a branch; my throat closes over like an icebound stream; my eyes are fogged as glass on a winter’s morn.
For a time I am frost-bitten, a creature of rime and hoar. Still and unbreathing.
They did not say it would be like this.
Angela Slatter is such a wonderfully evocative writer. Her descriptions of place really do make you want to curl up in the story for a while, rest your feet there. It helps that 'St Dymphna's School for Poison Girls' ticks so many of my boxes too - old boarding schools! Girls being taught to be killers! It's straight up magic.

You can read 'St Dymphna's School for Poison Girls' by Angela Slatter over at Tor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment