What I Read August

I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to lately. The combination of work, househunting and trying to get back on track after a month overseas has slowed me down on a lot of fronts.

Anyway, the books I managed to read: 

I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan, and tried to read American Gods a few years ago but couldn't get through it. I decided to give it another go this month, and really, really enjoyed it. Gaiman has a great sense of worldbuilding, fun and charm and it's out in full in American Gods. My only criticism of it is that it was a bit long, but more time with the characters, particularly Shadow and Laura was worth it.

I read The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule a couple of months ago and really enjoyed Rule's honest and compelling true crime voice. I picked up Small Sacrifices this month and have virtually inhaled it. The story of a woman who shot her three children isn't one that will appeal to everyone, but Rule approaches it honestly and emphatically, and from every side of the story. It's an awesome read.

And then The Department of Speculation! A total departure from every other book this month. Jenny Offill was my workshop leader at Tin House and I kind of fell in love with her a whole lot. The Dept. of Speculation is everything I hoped it would be too - the tightly told story of a marriage disintegrating. Offill genuinely taps into this well of anxiety and depression, intimacy and womanhood, in a way that had me read it in basically one sitting.

Finally, moar Ms. Marvel and starting All New X-Men, because I am a huge nerd, and both these series are A+ awesome. 

What have you been reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment