What I'm Reading: February

February's been a weirdly slow reading month for me. It's a shame, because January was such a great one. Still, knocking four books off my to-read list is not a bad feat.

It's been a good list too - one of my 24 before 25 goals has been to read Jane Austen's canon, so reading both Sense and Sensibility and Emma has been a pretty riveting experience. Her knack for character dynamics, writing sisters and the mistaken-emotion is a lot more nuanced and compelling than I think she receives credit for. I mean, the romance and humour's great too, but there's some beautiful character interplay in the quieter moments too.

I also read Alice Pung's Laurinda which is totally wonderful. I've read it described as an Australian Mean Girls and it is in a lot of ways, but it has different strengths in it too, particularly in protagonist, Lucy and her family. It unraveled and sewed itself back together so seamlessly you hardly recognised the process as it happened.

And man, I FINALLY finished Y the Last Man this month. To say it's one of my favourite series' ever is a pretty accurate surmise of my feelings. I'm sure I'll write a more in-depth post down the line, but for now, just have all of the yes.

And that's about it from me in Feb. How about you? What have you been reading? 

No comments:

Post a Comment