Wash the dirt, a hard day's work


February 2015 by Sophie Overett on Grooveshark
January in Five (looking back)
1. I've been keeping to one of my unofficial new year's resolutions of seeing a lot more of friends. It's made me a lot more responsible in time management which is something I hope I can keep up. Plus it totally reminds me of all the ways I love my friends.

2.  I hit almost all of my writing goals in January too. I submit to nine different things - six short stories and three projects / EOI's. I'm hopeful about a few of them, but I'm trying to not dwell too much on work that's in that limbo when put with a publisher or journal and instead propel forwards with work.

3. On that note, I wrote very little on longer length projects in January. I wrote a lot more in the way of short fiction and short non-fiction pieces which I think is a good way to start the year. Being able to finish and submit work within a few weeks as opposed to, y'know, the forever and a half it takes with novels, has been a really good feeling. It's also helped me capture some of that momentum.

4. My sister's also moved back to Queensland. Her new place is only a half hour from me which is a really nice feeling. I know they say you don't know what you've got til it's gone, but I really think you don't know what you've been missing until you get it back.

5. Totally unrelated: Triple J's Hottest 100 was a bit of a dud list this year. That said, it also introduced me to the wonderful Thelma Plum. Unfortunately, she wasn't on Grooveshark, but I've included her in my Feb mixtape anyway because she's straight up great. Check out How Much Does Your Love Cost below. 


So my January wasn't too crazy-eventful. It actually feels like one of the few times I've actually eased into a  year. February's already looking busier. I'm back to work on one of the novels, and my QLA fellowship is set to kick off (!!!) Digital Writers Festival's on, and there are some great book launches and events happening around Brisbane which I'll be heading towards, including Yarn and Riverbend Poetry Series

How about you? What do you have planned for February?

1 comment:

  1. I just wrote you a comment but then deleted it by accident... whoops!

    You've had a very productive month, wow!

    ReplyDelete