Sunday Short: Giraffe by Chris Somerville

It took us two days to drive out here. In the car, with the windows down and our backs sweating, Rachel played her learn-to-speak German cassette tapes endlessly. I did try to follow along, but soon enough I’d lose interest and look out the window and worry. I was convinced she was playing these tapes so she could talk without having a conversation. I wondered if she was seeing a man from Germany. I hit pause on the tape player.
Chris Somerville's been around for a while, and has a pretty innate ability at neurosis in a way that's both incredibly funny and incredibly sad. Giraffe is no exception to this. A strangely biting piece about a couple visiting an aging, madding relative, the characters in this are both familiar and surprising. It's really nice stuff.

You can read Giraffe over on the Bumf website.

No comments:

Post a Comment