What I Read September



I haven't had a lot of time to read this month. Between moving house and the day job, all my spare time has really been taken up by unpacking, writing or, y'know, watching The Bachelorette. Still, I managed to get a few under my belt, and it was a few really great books which makes the small list a little more rewarding.

Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker
My true crime binge doesn't seem to be slowing, particularly when each book I've picked up has been so good. This one about five dead women who's individual missing cases went ignored because they were sex workers until four of the five turned up wrapped in burlap on a beach is harrowing and heartbreaking and one of the best books I've read recently. Kolker captures the intricacies of the case and both the troubling and entirely ordinary circumstances that lead women to pursue dangerous work and men to exploit that.

Dancing Girls by Margaret Atwood
Oh, Margaret Atwood. You are basically my straight up fave. This is an early collection from her (first pub'd in 1977) and it reads like one. It's very experimental, and some stories work a lot better than others, but it comes together like most Atwood collections do - as a compelling and biting snapshot of the complexities of womanhood. It's pretty darn great.

Powers Volume 1 and 2 by Brian Michael Bendis
This series has been on my to-read list for years, so it was good to finally get around to it. If I'm honest, I don't love the art, but the story is so good and so well-paced it's easy to overlook. It's smart, funny and taps into an emotional core that not many superhero comics are capable of. It's pretty magical and I'll definitely be continuing the series.

How about you? What did you read in September?

No comments:

Post a Comment