Little Comfort, Little Comfort


January 2015 by Sophie Overett on Grooveshark


My boss always tells us at work that events and projects should be like a duck on water, an easy glide to the eye, but with the quick and hard pace of legs below. Last year, I spent a lot of time paddling, and a lot of time treading water.

This year (even though we’re only a few days into it!), it already feels like I’m starting to move. I made huge progress at my Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers Centre residency at the start of December, and have managed to keep a firm momentum with my writing since. I’ve fallen back in love with short fiction, and have some really exciting new projects on the horizon.

The biggest news – and something that will certainly be looming over me this year – is that I am a recipient of a Queensland Literary Fellowship in 2015. I’m totally thrilled, of course, and it’s super exciting to have both this sort of recognition, but also to have a panel of people put their hat in the ring for me to develop work.

So all in all, I feel good about 2015. I feel good about what’s ahead, and what’s in store. My legs will still be working hard of course, but hopefully I’ll get to glide a little further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment