Friday Finds

I didn't write a new year's post to break in 2015. I think that makes this the first year since I started this that I haven't. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, I'm still working on my 24 Before 25 goals that I wrote about back in September, and secondly, I was lucky enough to spend New Year's with some very important people, some of which had traveled here for the occasion. All in all though, I'm pretty excited for this year. My job is changing, my writing practice growing, my future starting to happen before me, which all sounds very cliche, but is also kind of true. How about you though? What do you have planned for the new year?

Also, hey! Enjoy the relaunch / restructured Friday Finds below!

- Which major superhero films pass the Bechdel test?  (spoiler: not a lot).

- This Sailor Moon wedding.

- These award-winning photos of 2014 compiled on BuzzFeed are stunning.

- I love a good horror movie and It Follows is looking particularly amazing. 

New Orphan Black trailer!! Penny Dreadful Season 2!! AND Better Call Saul!!

- Margaret Atwood did a Reddit AMA! The Mary Sue rounded up the best Q&A's over here.

- 23 tips from famous writers for new and emerging authors.

- 13 books  to read by black feminist writers.

- 12 essential essays for writers.

- If famous authors wrote the internet.

- That Girl is Poison: a brief, incomplete history of female poisoners.
I'm super fascinated by poison in general and the psychology behind people who choose to use it, and this round up of four women who history remembers for it is a compelling little read.

- The  Trouble with Carrie: strong female characters and onscreen violence.
The Strong Female Character has been at the heart of a lot of conversations recently, and it's a really important one to have. The way women are represented has certainly become more diverse in some ways, but not in others, and this article sums that up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment