2013

I always find it an odd thing to approach the new year - not necessarily in a bad way, just that so much stress is placed on a date. You spend the months leading up to it, well, leading up to it. Changing gears and charging into it with booze and kisses and promises half-kept, leaving people and intentions and desperation somewhere in the wake of it all.

2013 has sort of been that for me. I'm still working my sea-legs for the year, trying to rid myself of December's wobbles and hangovers and recollections and welcome the firmer footing that the new year can bring. That aside, it's already a big year of change for me. This week I started as QWC's Program and Marketing Coordinator, a step up from my role as Customer Service Officer, something I am pretty excited about. In maybe-bigger-news, my sister and her partner are in the process of moving from sunny, urban Brisbane to the rolling hills of rural New South Wales - Gunnedah specifically, with its dusty roads and sprawling paddocks. I'm going to miss her like all hell. As much as we fight and run rampant on each others nerves, she's still my better half, my rock, a whole swell of things that matter, that I find hard to put into words. She and her partner are heading out with a tentative two year plan, to earn and work and for my sister to care for her horses and train like she's always wanted. I'm happy for her, but my selfish heart still wants her here. I think she knows that though, and there's no part of me that won't help her on this step. I still have my brother here anyway, who's starting tenth grade(!) this year. Which is scary. I mean, I remember him being born.

On top of that, I myself am heading back to university, starting off on a shiny new degree - a graduate diploma in Japanese (yay for languages!) and am in the midst of planning a four week trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam for the end of the year, which I am close to delirious with excitement about. I'm starting to think that this'll be a big year of shaping up and growth, and the sentiment both frightens and thrills me, sends shivers into my legs and chest that tell me to run faster and work harder. That said, we're only a week and a half in, so maybe I should just play it all by ear.

I'm hoping to do more on here this year too, post more and certainly write more, and I hope that you'll be here for the ride. Your year is only as big as you make it, after all, so hopefully your all planning something good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment