Sunday Short: Janine by Ben Goodfellow

Janine blew her nose and said, ‘Oh. Yes. Good point. Thank you.’ Then she took her pouch of tobacco and her lighter from her handbag and gave them to me. After I asked a couple of times whether she was OK, I went outside for my break and rolled a cigarette. I blew these big, fat blue-grey smoke-rings and got that under-the-covers feeling when I thought about how I would never, ever have to worry about what Janine was going through.
Seizure's Flashers series continues to be a pretty damn great one for bite-sized fiction. Ben Goodfellow's short, 'Janine', is a pretty perfect representation of the medium too. A simple idea with beautifully orchestrated emotional repercussions.

You can read 'Janine' over at the Seizure website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment