National Young Writers' Month


Monthlies: May by Sophie Overett on Grooveshark

June is National Young Writers' Month in Australia , and I've been floundering around with a few of my writing goals lately, so it makes for a great opportunity to get back on track. In prep, I FINALLY bought a new desk (my old one's legs gave months ago), and have set up a workspace that hopefully means less procrastination, less interruptions and more writing. SO, goals for the month are:

1. Finish putting Lost Girls together, the mosaic novel.

I feel like I've been working on Lost Girls forever. It's a novel of interwoven short stories with recurring characters, places and themes. I'd been on track with it at the start of the year, with only three stories left to finish to complete it, but my engine lost steam on it and I ended up dabbling in other things. I'm hoping to finish drafting one of the stories today (!) which'll put me in good stead to draft the other two and then put the sucker together by the end of the month.

2. Finish drafting Homebodies, the screenplay.

I've been messing around with this one for a while. It's a feature-length indie film screenplay about two sisters reunited when the older one's life falls apart. I've got a strong outline for it at this point and character bible's for the main cast, but I'd love to actually get a draft done this month.

3. Finish plotting The Belt, the graphic novel.
I'm a little looser with this one, but it's an idea I've had since highschool. Space military! Inter-planet politics! Aliens! Warfare! It's also always been a graphic novel in my head which, y'know, I have plenty of experience reading, but not a whole lot putting together. I'm not quite ambitious enough to want the whole thing done by the end of the month (hahahaha), but I really want to get it plotted out and the character bibles written and character designs drafted.

So pretty big tasks! I'm aiming to write for at least two hours a day, every day throughout the month (which I more-or-less do now). If I stick to this, hopefully I'll get shit done. To try and keep me on track too, I'm going to be posting updates every Monday, so you can expect to see that too.

How about you? Have you set any goals for NYWM?

No comments:

Post a Comment