Sunday Short: We Will Speak About Brain Aneurysms by Kuzhali Manickavel

My uncle will have his brain aneurysm right in the middle of his lecture. Sometimes I will tell people that he started repeating the word ‘hentai’ while talking about the effects of pesticide use on hybrid strains of rice. Sometimes I will say that he started wandering around the stage, asking if the Chozhan Express was late again. This is because I will not really know what happened.
This rather wonderful short piece by Kuzhali Manickavel really surprised me. I wasn't expecting to wake up to something with this level of oomph. Beautifully crafted, Manickavel has created a wonderful portrait of family and illness and the way sudden death interacts with those closest, no matter who they are. It's a really lovely piece of writing.

You can read We Will Speak About Brain Aneurysms over at bumf online.

No comments:

Post a Comment