Sunday Short: Amaryllis by Carrie Vaughn

I never knew my mother, and I never understood why she did what she did. I ought to be grateful that she was crazy enough to cut out her implant so she could get pregnant. But it also meant she was crazy enough to hide the pregnancy until termination wasn’t an option, knowing the whole time that she’d never get to keep the baby. That she’d lose everything. That her household would lose everything because of her.
There are really two things I'm a total sucker for in any sort of story - reluctant heroes and created family. Carrie Vaughn's rather wonderful dystopian short Amaryllis celebrates both. She has an excellent protagonist in Marie, a character I really want more of, and the dynamics between this group of lost fisherman is sweetly tuned and biting. It's pretty great.

You can read 'Amaryllis' online over at Light Speed Magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment