Sunday Short: I Don't Need Anything From Here by László Krasznahorkai

"I would leave here the exit routes, the evenings in the kitchen, the last amorous gaze, and all of the city-bound directions that make you shudder, I would leave here the thick twilight falling upon the land, gravity, hope, enchantment, and tranquility, I would leave here those beloved and those close to me, everything that touched me, everything that shocked me, fascinated and uplifted me"
I'd be tempted to class this work as a poetry rather than short fiction due to the lyrical nature of it, but hey, that's not what the author wanted. I Don't Need Anything from Here is a beautiful piece of writing by Hungarian author, László Krasznahorkai (try saying that three times fast). He conveys such tenderness throughout, a love of place and person, but a desire to drive distance between that too. It's lovely, albeit very short.

You can read I Don't Need Anything from Here care of Aysmptote Journal here.

No comments:

Post a Comment