Sunday Short: Death and Contraception by Kobi Blake-Craig

I hate it when someone says; I am sorry for your loss or even just sorry. I understand they want to be a compassionate human being and offer a bonus pillar of support; but I don’t understand what they are sorry about. They didn’t personally gather cancerous cells and shove them into his blood stream, nor did they induce a stroke. They also didn’t force me to continue a relationship with someone who had shocking taste in music and cancer. It all just happened, for some inexplicable reason.
Apparently I'm on a non-fiction kick for shorts this month, but Kobi Blake-Craig's piece of memoir on losing her boyfriend at seventeen is a pretty awesome piece of writing. Biting and sad and all in all lovely, she covers what grief means and why recognising it is, well, both unique and important.

You can read Death and Contraception over at Scum Mag Online.

1 comment:

  1. I found this post doing a classic and somewhat embarrassing google of my name.
    I am glad you identified with something in this piece. I was in two minds about posting it and seeing this kind of thing definitely made it worthwhile!
    ps. I am totally fan-girling over your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete