Pixar's Story Rules


This is really, really great. Pixar's Story Rules told using Lego.

All 22 are great tips and a real insight into how Pixar writes and their attitude towards developing content, characters and scripts. It's also a really great resource in terms of thinking about your own narrative generally, and a lot of points worth thinking about. My favourite rule actually wasn't interpreted with Lego, but it's the seventh one:

Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.

It's a simple point, but an important one. I know I do the opposite, I tend to start in the middle and then work my way out - beginning and end falling in a heap that needs to be untangled still, like necklaces in the bottom of a drawer, and it takes me a while to do that. In other words, I think I'll give rule 7 a try next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment