What I Read November


A photo posted by Sophie Overett (@sophieoverett) on

I've been a bit slack with my reading the last couple of months, something I'm hoping to rectify over the holidays. Still, I got through a few books in November, and a few really great ones too.

Donna Tartt's A Secret History is probably my favourite as far as books I read this month, and I've been singing it's praises to anyone who'll listen. It's one of those funny ones who's been recommended to me so many times it's almost comical, and I started it earlier in the year for my book club, but never quite powered through it. This time though, I've devoured it. This story of a group of students at a university murdering a friend unfolds in such an odd, yet natural way, and Tartt's handle on language is basically sublime. It might just be one of my favourite books this year.

My love affair with Ann Rule / true crime has continued with The I5 Killer too. I don't think this one is as transcendent and intimate as The Stranger Beside Me, nor as compelling as Small Sacrifices, but she's still a remarkably compelling writer and this story about a sex criminal's escalating behaviour is both enthralling and devastating.

Speaking of love affairs, Rachael Briggs was one of the first poets I really connected with, having heard her read at Queensland Poetry Festival a number of years ago. I finally got around to picking up her debut collection, Free Logic this month and it's been a great read. She captures gender fluidity and strange companionship really beautifully, and it comes through in virtually every poem in this award-winning collection. Interestingly, I actually read most of the collection aloud because the words and the rhythm of Briggs' poetry is just that good. It doesn't roll off the tongue exactly, but these poems like to be there all the same. They're lovely, and aching, and demonstrate a really great new voice in poetry.

And sure, let's go with the love affair theme in the rest of these things - I've started reading Hana Kimi by Hisaya Nakajo, a manga which seems to have been around since the dawn of time (or, well, 1996). It's the story of a girl who travels halfway around the world to meet an athlete she adores only to find herself enrolled in an all-boy's school. It's pretty typical as far as shoujo Japanese manga goes, but I'm enjoying it enough at the moment (particularly after long days at work!)

Anyway, what did you read this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment