Sunday Short: The Insiders by Nicholas Brooks

One day, after he’d been doing it for a few years, he borrowed a friend’s camera and asked if I’d come down and take photos. Because I had nothing better to do, and because I secretly admired the way he made everything look so easy, I agreed. I followed him to the break wall at the mouth of the river and, after a quick lesson on how to use the camera, I stood on the rocks and did my best to snap pictures of him as he moved across the waves. Most of the photos I took turned out blurry and poorly framed, as we found out later when we went through them in his bedroom, but there was one that was clear and bright and sharp.

The Flashers series is one that keeps delivering, and The Insiders is a pretty great addition to it. Short, sharp, and remarkably painful, it's a snapshot of two brothers before and after a shattering accident. Nicholas Brooks tight prose lends a simple weight to the situation and, even before the incident, you know this isn't going to be something that ends well.

You can read 'The Insiders' over on the Seizure website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment