Sunday Short: Beginners by Raymond Carver

Terri said the man she lived with before she lived with Herb loved her so much he tried to kill her. Herb laughed after she said this. He made a face. Terri looked at him. Then she said, “He beat me up one night, the last night we lived together. He dragged me around the living room by my ankles, all the while saying, ‘I love you, don’t you see? I love you, you bitch.’ He went on dragging me around the living room, my head knocking on things.” She looked around the table at us and then looked at her hands on her glass. “What do you do with love like that?” she said. She was a bone-thin woman with a pretty face, dark eyes, and brown hair that hung down her back. She liked necklaces made of turquoise, and long pendant earrings. She was fifteen years younger than Herb, had suffered periods of anorexia, and during the late sixties, before she’d gone to nursing school, had been a dropout, a “street person,” as she put it. Herb sometimes called her, affectionately, his hippie.
Raymond Carver is generally touted as one of the masters of short fiction and I unfortunately haven't had a chance to read all that much of his work, even though I know he's influenced a ton of my writing friends. Beginners is a good short though, solid and somehow both incredibly intimate and horribly detached, and it works remarkably well at fleshing out characters who are the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment