Darling I'm a Nightmare Dressed as a Daydream


Monthlies: October by Sophie Overett on Grooveshark

I have been jamming HARD to Taylor Swift's new album '1989' over the last week or so, so you should probably count yourself lucky it isn't just that album under the guise of a mixtape. Blank Space is by far my favourite song on the album though, so that one won out for this guy.

I spent the most of October really trying to hit a deadline and wrote some 30,000 words over the course of the month - a pretty mean feat if I do say so myself. It's made it stressful, successful and straight up exhausting all at once, and has capped itself with a pretty nasty cold - meaning I didn't quite meet the deadline I'd worked so hard for. It's left me a bit of an unhappy mix of disappointed and frustrated. I've been sickness-inclined most of my life and it often feels like something that hinders me on a path to wilder ambitions when the reality of it is I probably get sick from the pressure I put on myself to constantly achieve.

So many people have told me I'm not a good relaxer, and the reality of it is that I find it very difficult to just chill. I even turn recreation into something I can check off a list - catch up on this show, go for a walk, read this book - as if the only way I can feel good is ultimately to feel like I've accomplished something. It's probably not the best state of mind.

On a much lighter note, my life's been all family this month. We finally laid my grandfather's ashes to rest, my brother went and came home from a school exchange to Japan and my sister's back in town. It's been a pretty nice feeling and forced me out of my own head for a while and into the chaos of family life. It doesn't look set to stop in November either, so it may be a different story by the end of next month.

How about you though? How was your October? What have you got planned for November?

No comments:

Post a Comment