Sunday Short: A Chronological List of Things Men Said to Me After I Told Them I Had Herpes by Anonymous

He was feeling bold and pinned me to the bed at a friend’s party. I was feeling bold and told him that night, hours later in his bed. He was a friend; I was intoxicated. “It sounds like you feel ashamed,” he said, indicating that I shouldn’t. He held me as I passed out, and I felt vaguely embarrassed the next morning.
I'm really into health memoir at the moment, not even just because I've been writing some myself, but more because the idea of exploring something so disabling is fascinating to me. 'A Chronological List of Things Men Said to Me After I Told Them I Had Herpes' by an anonymous contributor to The Hairpin is everything I love in the form - beautiful, intimate, ugly and moving all at once. It's a really, really lovely piece of writing.

You can read 'A Chronological List of Things Men Said to Me After I Told Them I Had Herpes' over on The Hairpin.

No comments:

Post a Comment