Sunday Short: To the Girl Who Forgot Me by Mike Day

On the last night you were cryptic and withdrawn when I arrived outside the back gate of your real house – the one your parents lived in – in the early hours of the morning. I was drunk and riddled with anxiety as you led me through the steep garden. In your room we tried whispering in the dark for a while, but ended up having careful, ‘don’t wake the parents’ sex. Afterwards, you said I had to leave and we had an argument that I can’t clearly remember. I left, and we didn’t see each again for a long time.
Man, this is a beautiful and tragic piece of memoir that perfectly captures the loss of a break-up only to be met by the loss of something so much worse. Mike Day's writing is accessible and honest and ultimately very heartfelt and I can pretty openly admit to shedding a tear or two by the end.

You can read To the Girl Who Forgot Me over at Scum Mag.

No comments:

Post a Comment