Sunday Short: Musical Chairs by Josie Curtis

We spoke only when necessary, expelling words gently, apologetically, as if they had to walk over shards of broken glass to reach each other.  He spent the night in my bed, where I curled around the edge of the mattress, pulled so far away from him that he might as well have already been sleeping in another city. He left town the next day and we didn’t talk for weeks.
This short piece actually came to me through my tumblr feed earlier this week and, well, kind of broke my heart. Josie Curtis does such a beautiful job of teasing out a relationship that neither party is ever on the same page for, that maybe she's not ever all in for. It rings so true to me that it almost hurts. It helps that her turn of phrase is pretty divine too.

You can read Musical Chairs over on tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment