Sunday Short: Take Your Licks by Amy Poehler

The nights would end with the wait staff in the parking lot, sitting on a car and drinking beer as we counted our tips. The boys would undo their bow ties and suddenly look weary and handsome. I would change into soft jeans and throw pennies at the dumpster. I was aching for what came next.
I'm a bit of a diehard when it comes to Amy Poehler. Her drive and talent and general views and values are enormously inspirational for me personally and generally give me all the feels. Her piece for The New Yorker, 'Take Your Licks' is about her summer between highschool and college and is hugely emotive and really illustrates that tread-water feeling of waiting for the next big step. It's pretty wonderful.

You can read 'Take Your Licks' over on The New Yorker website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment